November is the month when the garden gradually goes into hibernation. But that doesn't mean there's no work left to do! On the contrary, Chris Whitelock, our Resident Plant Expert gives his top tips on how to get your garden ready for winter!
- Provide winter protection for tender shrubs using fleece jackets. It is critical that they are given protection from drying east winds. They cannot take water up from frozen and will die of dehydration.
- Carry out Vine pruning in November because this will top the plants bleeding. Be savage because they fruit only on young growth. I recommend Darlac products for both this and general pruning needs- they are inexpensive and yet durable and get the job done!
- Sow broad beans to give them a head start. They will mature earlier in the season with an Autumn sowing.
- Mulch borders with chipped bark. This will protect the plant roots from severe winter frosts, keeping down weeks and providing a decorative finish.
- Plant tulips. Tulips are best planted late. Give them a nice sunny spot to be at their best.
- Consider winter interest plants. A little bit of colour goes a long way during the short winter months. Witch hazels, Cornice Winter Flame and Garrya Elliptica - known as the tassel bush have long, hassle-like flowers in February. Finally, the Clematis Cirrhosa is semi-evergreen, fragrant nodding flowers in February. Perfect for a sunny, sheltered spot.
Lawn care in autumn
Regarding your lawn, consider aerating it. By poking small holes in the grass, you promote air and water circulation in the soil, which is crucial for healthy grass growth. Additionally, removing moss and dead plant material can help prevent fungal diseases.
Enjoy Your Garden!
Lastly, don't forget to take some time for yourself in the garden. Take a moment to relax and enjoy the tranquillity that autumn brings. A well-maintained garden is beautiful, but it's also important to truly savour it. With these comprehensive garden tips for November, you're fully prepared to make your garden winter-proof. Enjoy the preparations, and look forward to a beautiful gardening season in the coming year!
Visit our garden centre just outside Hereford on the A4103 at Whitestone, for all your garden tools, spring bulbs and winter interest plants. A wonderful way to spend an morning , especially in the run-up to Christmas.